Is your Estrus urine from the current season?
Deer Urine as cover scent- very powerful!
We have found that fresh deer urine (Peak Estrus, Scrape Lure or Buck Urine) works very well as a cover scent. While sitting in your stand use our spray top and give 5-10 blasts every 15 minutes also spraying on your tree around you. This helps to overpower your scent as it floats downstream. We know we can’t completely fool a mature buck’s nose but by covering our scent with something as powerful as deer urine it #1 helps to relax him and #2 makes him think you are at 200 yards when you’re only at 30 yards. Many mature bucks have been taken with this well-kept secret.
How do I apply deer urine in the field?
Years of experimental research by our team has taught us more deer urine per hunt is better. A deer urinates 6-8 ounces at a time, thus we recommend using at least 4-6 ounces per hunt. By using more it lasts longer and reaches farther.
Here is a summary of our favorite application method you should use in each season with any one of our urines:
1. Per each hunt, according to the wind make two fresh scrapes about 20 yards on each side of your stand.
2. For each scrape, pick a tree with low-hanging branches and make a 3 ft. circle by scraping away all leaves under the branches with your boots.
3. Hang your favorite heated wick dispenser on a branch over each scrape and pour 1-2 ounces directly in to ground.
4. If the terrain allows for access, make scent drags to your stand as well. To do so, tie a wick soaked in fresh urine to a string and drag it behind you as you walk towards your stand freshening wick every 80 yards.
What are the benefits of our “Hot Wick” lure dispensers?
The better a hunter can replicate a live doe, the better the odds of attracting a mature buck. Mimicking the temperature of fresh urine is an important component of realizing the full benefits of a lure. The pheromone profile of deer urine evolves as its temperature changes. With heat, the aroma molecules present in the urine speed up, resulting in a scent that provides a hunter with a larger target range than that provided by a room-temperature scent. After years of research and
Can CWD be spread through cervid urines?
According to research by Dr. Nick Haley of Kansas State University (see Haley et al. PLoS ONE 2009; 4(3) and 4(11)), it is unlikely that deer urines spread CWD. Despite this, we take the threat of CWD very seriously. Our farm has been certified CWD-free for 12+ years and we take every precaution possible to ensure our herd remains healthy. Please see our CWD page for a more discussion on the topic and details on our participation in the ATA Deer Protection Program.
Why should you use fresh wicks?
Which urine lure should I use in any given season?
- Early Season, Pre-Rut (July – Oct 15): Use our Scrape and Buck urines to make mock scrapes and freshen existing scrapes. Use Scrape urine all season to cover your scent spraying a few bursts with our spray tops from your stand every 15 minutes
- Peak-Rut (Oct 16 – Nov 21). Use Peak Estrus and Buck urines with scent drags, mock scrapes and scent wicks.
- Late Season, Post-Rut (Nov 22 – February): Use Peak Estrus, Buck Urine or Scrape urines.